Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Yummy Banana Bread



The last two times we bought bananas they turned quicker than normal and after throwing away the first group I couldn't bring myself to waste the second.  I popped the bananas in the freezer so I could try my hand at banana bread. 

Today when we woke up it was gloomy, dark, and raining.  In other words, the perfect day to bake a loaf of banana bread.  A friend of mine gave me a recipe to try and it so happened we had all of the ingredients (well minus the vanilla extract...............I really need to go get more). 

Getting all of the ingredients set out
 We measured and combined the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  I've found that letting Ava measure is helping her to learn more math skills in a fun hands on way.  Not to mention she is learning to bake.
Next we added in the oats and stirred then we had to cut in the butter.  Ava helped slice and drop the butter in and then I used the two butter knifes to finish up.  I swear one day I will remember to get myself a pastry cutter.  Today wasn't bad but when I make my pie crust I'll always regret not having one.
 We didn't have any pre-shelled and chopped nuts but we did have whole walnuts.  It takes a bit more work but they did actually smell  and taste fresher.
  I chopped them up a bit because while I do like nuts in banana bread I don't like them to stand out too much.
 We added the nuts and gave it a quick stir and set it aside.
 Then we combined the egg and milk.  This is also where we would have added the vanilla had we had any.  Vanilla tends to balance out a lot of baked goods but I figured with the banana flavor we would be fine without.
 I put the bananas in a bowl and gave Ava a crab knocker (the kind without the mallet) and let her smash the bananas.
 Then we combined the bananas with the egg and milk mixture.
 We poured it on top of the dry ingredients and mixed until moistened. 
 Poured it into our greased loaf pan and popped it in a 350 degree oven for about an hour.
 Then the best, excuse me, worst part of baking....................we cleaned up.
 With the dishes done and the kitchen beginning to smell of yumminess we sat down to some leftover potato soup for lunch.
 Now to cool
 Later, after we did a rainy day activity, we helped ourselves to some banana bread to reward ourselves for all of our hard work. 
Seems now I have no excuse to waste bananas.  This was really simple and tastes delicious.

3 comments:

  1. I love this! Your pictures are wonderful....I love how they tell the story! Future pioneer woman!? :)

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I wish...just trying to post more Mommy stuff and not just random whatever all the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started storing my overripe bananas in the freezer just recently too. We use them mostly for smoothies, but this is good as well. I peel them before putting them in the freezer so I don't have to contend with the frozen-on peels which are then all sweaty and nasty or wait for them to thaw to peel. Woot! I heart banana bread!

    ReplyDelete